ESSENCE on Health Research (Enhancing Support for Strengthening the Effectiveness of National Capacity Efforts) is a collaborative framework between funding agencies to scale up research capacity. It aims to improve the impact of investments in institutions and people, and provides enabling mechanisms that address needs and priorities within national strategies on research for health.
WHY ESSENCE AND WHY NOW?
- There is strong agreement within the international development and research communities that funding should be aligned with national priorities.
- It is recognized that successful research capacity also requires competencies in issues such as governance and management, strategic planning, evidence assessment, ethics and translation of evidence into policy.
- Conducive research environments are needed to retain young professionals.
- The Paris Declaration on Aid effectiveness provides guidelines that should be used interaction between countries and funders.
ABOUT RESEARCH FOR HEALTH IN LOW INCOME COUNTRIES
- National research capacity.
- Institutional research capacity.
- Research capacity funding.
THE PARIS DECLARATION ON AID EFFECTIVENESS AND ESSENCE
- In most countries sector-wide approach, notably in the health and education sectors, exists to achieve harmonisation and alignment of efforts.
- Research is rarely a sector in most countries.
- Research is seldom supported by country-based foreign Embassies/Agencies.
- The majority of research supported is from funders and agencies whose management and coordination are based at their headquarters.
ESSENCE focuses on the following:
- Funders of research for health, who recognize the need to work together in addressing the research capacity needs as expressed by partner countries.
- Research (and innovation) capacity strengthening for health.
- Low income countries in Africa